Miami Beach Interim City Manager Raul J. Aguila has declared a State of Emergency throughout the City in light of the Miami Beach Police Department’s significant concerns relating to larger than expected spring break crowds.
In response to the emergency, and in order to safeguard the public health, safety, and welfare of residents and visitors, the Interim City Manager intends to immediately implement the following emergency measures:
- Effective 8 p.m. tonight, a curfew shall be imposed in the area bounded by 5 Street on the south, 16 Street on the north, Pennsylvania Avenue on the west, and Ocean Drive on the east (the “High Impact Zone”).
- Eastbound lanes on the Julia Tuttle Causeway shall be completely CLOSED to traffic from 9 p.m. through 6 a.m.
- Eastbound lanes on the Venetian Causeway shall be completely CLOSED to traffic from 9 p.m. through 6 a.m., except to City residents.
- Eastbound lanes on the MacArthur Causeway shall be CLOSED to traffic from 9 p.m. through 6 a.m., except to City residents, guests of hotels in the City, and employees of business establishments in the City.
- Effective 8 p.m. tonight, Ocean Drive shall be CLOSED to pedestrian and vehicular traffic, except to City residents, guests of hotels in the City, and employees of business establishments. Other public roads within the High Impact Zone may be closed as deemed necessary by the Interim City Manager or Chief of Police.
- All sidewalk café operations including expanded outdoor restaurant seating shall be SUSPENDED in the High Impact Zone, effective 7 p.m. tonight (pursuant to the City’s High Impact Ordinance), and all sidewalk café operators are directed to stack or remove tables and chairs no later than 8 p.m. tonight.
- Restaurants in the High Impact Zone can remain open until 12 a.m. for delivery services only.
The City strongly urges all businesses in the High Impact Zone to close voluntarily during the State of Emergency.
The Mayor has called an emergency meeting of the City Commission tomorrow, March 21, 2021 at 3 p.m. to discuss and take action with regard to the Declaration of a State of Emergency. Please click the following link to join the webinar: https://miamibeachfl-gov.zoom.us/j/81392857671. The Webinar ID is 813 9285 7671.